I recently had my first experience with Matcha tea. It was an iced green tea latte at Starbucks, and I was immediately hooked. When I got home, I researched the drink more and discovered that not only is it something you can buy, but you can also make it at home and enjoy it hot or cold!
I’ve been drinking Matcha daily for about a month now. I love the taste and the energy boost that comes with it.
Matcha tea is the most popular form of Japanese tea. It originated in China and can be made from both green tea leaves or black tea leaves, but it’s typically only the top two inches of young, shade-grown green tea leaves that are used to make Matcha.
This type of tea has tons of health benefits like natural energy boosts, weight loss, and calming effects!
How to make Matcha tea
Matcha tea can be made in a variety of ways. One of the most common methods includes using a tea ball to add the Matcha powder to a cup of hot water, then allow to steep for one to two minutes before proceeding to add ingredients like milk or sugar.
- In a heat-safe bowl, add one teaspoon of Matcha powder and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar or honey.
- Put a small pot on a burner and pour in enough water so it reaches about an inch high from the bottom. Heat on medium-high until it boils.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl with Matcha powder and sugar or honey, stirring well for 30-60 seconds with a spoon.
- Add any additional ingredients for flavor, including warm milk or soy milk to make a latte!
5 things you need to know about Matcha
Here are five things you need to know about Matcha.
1) You get more than just caffeine with your cup of Matcha – There are also lots of antioxidants that help reduce stress levels and improve your mood!
2) People who drink matcha regularly tend to have a lower BMI than people who don’t drink it at all – Drinking Matcha tea may help you lose weight, which is perfect if you’re looking to stay healthy in 2021!
3) One cup of Matcha green tea has the same amount of antioxidants as 10 cups of regular brewed green tea – You can drink this amazing beverage all day long!
4) Matcha contains L-Theanine – This ingredient helps to induce a calming effect, which can be great if you struggle with anxiety.
5) Matcha tea may help improve your memory – According to a study conducted by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, consuming antioxidant-rich food and drinks like matcha is linked to better learning skills and memory functions.
It’s easy to see why people all over the world are obsessed with Matcha tea! Be sure to invite a friend over for a cup of this “jade green” drink next time you have some. If you’re feeling inspired, enjoy a hot cup right now, and let me know what you think in the comments below!